Long time no speak!
If you have been following me on Instagram you might know that it is because my workload got insane for 10 days.
During those 10 days I worked on a variety of projects but there was one project in particular which, although super exciting, had a very short deadline for the amount of work that was needed.
I normally tend to work a lot anyway but I’m telling you, I haven’t had to work this hard towards a deadline in a very long time!
So in order to make it I ended up working more than 12 hours a day for 10 days.
Working long hours for an extended period of time can take its toll on you both physically and mentally.
Here I compiled my experience as a survival guide. Some of the things I did instinctively, others I didn’t and wish I had in hindsight. I hope it can help you too if you ever face the same situation:
- Plan your work and prepare your files at the beginning of the project while your brain is still fresh.
- Be kind to yourself:
- eat well (both in terms of quantity and quality – don’t skip your fruit and veg!)
- drink lots of fluids
- work out if you can, move around, stretch
- take breaks and also rest your eyes, look away from your screens (all of them!)
- SLEEP! (It might be tempting to skip it, especially when the deadline approaches and you’re still nowhere near finished but it will come back to bite you, believe me.)
- If you can, ask for help. Not necessarily with your work although if that’s something you can do good for you! I mean with the little things of life like grocery shopping, food-making (not having to think about cooking meals even once or twice can be such a relief!), house chores if you like things to be spotless,… whatever frees you some extra time and gives you some peace of mind. And don’t feel bad about asking for help: chances are that the people who help you are happy to do so! Just find a way to thank them once you’re done!
- Once it’s over, celebrate! Reward yourself! You’ve made it through (well done you!) and you deserve it.
- Rest! Whether it is a whole day off, half a day off or a lay in the following morning plan yourself some rest. Your brain and your body deserve it for being such stars when you needed them (remember: be kind to yourself)!
That’s it people!
These are the things that worked for me or that I learned the hard way.
Feel free to share your own tips for when work gets tough and your experience with us in the comments!