Celebrating the legacy of 2012

A few weeks ago, my graphic design tutor asked us to design a new stamp celebrating the legacy of the year 2012 for the Royal Mail.
 
Below is my preparatory work together with my final proposition (that I am soon to re-work on based on the feedback that I received in class; pictures of the improved version will be uploaded when it is ready).
 
I first started working on the Mayan calendar since as we all know, it ends the 21st of December 2012. 
However, I soon rejected the idea because: 1) the end of the world, even if it is to be taken in the sense of ‘the end of an era/of the world as we know it’, is a bit dark for a stamp; and 2) this idea was out of brief as it wasn’t about the legacy of 2012.


Brainstorming further, I came up with a second idea. For me, 2012 has been a year that has seen many weddings. Below you can see a very stylised bride (on the right) and groom (on the left). Tiny problem however: the shapes of the bride and groom (or rather groom and bride here) looked more like a ’10’ than a ’12’. This version was also too personal for a stamp for the Royal Mail.



Back to brainstorming.
So what was the year 2012 about in the UK?
 
To me, the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee was definitely a major event this year. And so were the Olympics. 
 
I started gathering some references for these events (see final moodboard below).
 
 
From these pictures I first designed a version of the stamp for the Diamond Jubilee:

 


The fourth concept on the top row was my favourite. I had even added a subtle ’12’ in grey. But the more I thought about it the more I realised that the ’12’ was maybe too subtle. Plus this concept was basically saying ‘diamond’ twice: through the diamond shape and through the diamond-like background.
 
2012 wasn’t just about the Diamond Jubilee! We had the Olympics too!
 
As a result I started working on the Olympics logo, mixing it with my newly designed diamond background.
The first concept on the bottom row was my favourite (it still is) and is the version that I chose to develop and polish.

Finally…

Below is the ‘polished’ version that I showed as my final version in class (unfortunately the colours are not showing very well on here). 

For some reason I struggled rendering the concept I liked on a bigger scale. As you can see I added most of the number 2, which was more subtle in the conceptual version; and this is one of the things I want to re-work on. 

Obviously, when my new version is ready, you’ll be the first to know.

I hope you enjoyed this post!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s